Thursday, July 10, 2008

Parallel Universes

One story idea that has always been a favorite of mine is parallel universes. Stories where the heroes travel to worlds are mirrors of eachother. I love to read stories where the worlds may resemble something close to what we know with minor differences, and stories where the alternate world has been wrecked because of some catastrophic event where Johnny McBoogernose was elected mayor in Hicksville, USA instead of Timmy Straightentrue.

When I was a freshmen in highschool, I discovered Stephen King's series The Dark Tower, and they remain some of my favorite books. I love how they explore alternate worlds and alternate time lines and the idea that the universe is like an onion in reverse -- there are layers of worlds stacked on layers of worlds and each one may only differ slighly, while some may be enormously different.

Well, oh denizens of the SoaM universe, I have invented a machine that will let you explore alternate dimensions. The diagram of my invention can be seen below, although it may be too technical for most of you unscientifical folk. Just trust me that I spent many hours perfecting this design.You may question the morality of this. "Jason," you may protest, "couldn't even glancing briefly at another world throw ours into chaos, much like messing with the time stream." "What is this, freakin' twenty questions?" I would reply with anger. Seriously, why in the world would you be questioning me anyway, I just invented a freakin' transdimensional portal generator. When my findings are reported to the International Scientists Organization and Recreational Center -- or I-Soars -- I'll be able to buy and sell you guys like goldfish anyway....

...anyway, until the boys in white coats recognize my excellence, I will offer free rides to anyone who wants to visit a few alternate dimensions. Remember, these things may frighten you, but just remember that this is only a demonstration and a real ride will cost you your first born child -- so, basically, cheaper than a full tank of gas.

Without further ado, SoaM of the Other Worlds: SoaM Beta, SoaM Gamma, SoaM Delta, SoaM Epsilon -- (this world calls their site "The" Scribblings of a Madman. Everyone knows that my scribblings are "THE" scribblings, all others are imitators. I'm SoaM Alpha.)

I hope you all enjoyed your trip. Please watch your step and thank you for travelling.

8 comments:

Barrie said...

I love the idea of parallel worlds too. And I really, really loved The Twilight Zone!

Anonymous said...

What happens if you run out of pixie dust? I bet the price is going to go through the roof...

Unknown said...

LOL!!! :)

And how ironic...my last work was about parallel worlds :)

Jason said...

Barrie: Me too. I still watch it when I can catch it on SciFi.

notenoughwords: Naw, I've got an in with the Pixie King. I get leftover Pixie dust for a quarter of the price those "other reputable" places offer.

Beth: Really? Cool. I've got a story somewhere on my computer that I kept because I still love the idea, but I have no idea what the story is, it's just an opening scene. I figure someday I'll revisit it with some ideas and try to make it work.

PJ Hoover said...

it's like the good Captain Kirk, bad Captain Kirk thing.
did you ever watch Sliders? I loved that show!
and your picture rocks :)

Jason said...

I've never seen Sliders, but I've heard of it, and it sounds like a cool show.

I loved the show Quantum Leap, too. It had a kinda of "alternate dimension" feel to things because they had to fix time, which is another plot point I love.

And thanks, that picture took me all of 30 seconds to do.

Anonymous said...

I do believe in parallel worlds, alternate dimensions or whatever you want to call them...I don't know if anyone else has experienced this or not, but for years I have been able to so to speak "teleport" myself to the fringe of what I now see as a different dimension in an alternate universe. What do I mean by that? Well for years I thought it was just something outright weird, but by standing in front of a mirror and looking at myself, I start asking my mind basic questions like: Do I really exist? Am I real? Did I really live my life as I have lived it? Do I really do the work that I do? Do I have siblings, kids, parents? Am I really here? Do I really exist? By doing this I eventually go into an almost terrifying state or stupor where I'm not sure I really existed or have ever existed. It is the weirdest feeling and I become terrified that it is the truth and I feel as though I may have entered what I'm thinking may be some kind of mind warp in time and space where for a horrifying moment I feel like I have become totally disconnected from who I am or what I have been and I become so terrified that I try to break this spell and wake up to my reality again and convince myself that I AM REAL again. Now that I look back on this experience, I feel as though I have reached the fringe of a place that might be truly an alternate world or dimension. I now come to realize that my mind is a part of the infrastructure of this universe and perhaps it can serve as a portal to other realities, other worlds. I have never pressed myself to explore this experience further, because I get so fearful that I might suck my being into an alternate existence and I just stop and try to get my senses back. Has anyone out there experienced anything like this? Or know of any scholarly work in this arena? I would be interested in delving into this some more...as I do believe the human mind is far more powerful than we know…It can literally be the link to an alternate existence!!!

Anonymous said...

Please email me at: msmithfx@aol.com if you have more information on something like this. Thanks.

Mike