Thursday, December 14, 2006

Post-Thanksgiving, Pre-Christmas

Well, they managed to get me out of the house on Thanksgiving. I consumed 4 times what a normal human should have been able to consume, and by the end of the night I looked like that girl from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. They rolled me to the door, but since I was at my grandparents house and not a fun filled candy factory, the doors would not accomodate my enormous size. They had to push and cram and call in the National Guard, the Marines, and some sumo wrestlers from Japan, but they managed to get me out the door. I've deflated since then, but another big eating holiday is coming up, so I'm digging out my stretchy pants again.
Christmas is right around the corner, and I had a ton of trouble picking out what I wanted to get the people who tolerate me this year...I mean my friends...for Christmas. I finally found the right stuff, after four hours of mind racking. I put a ton of thought into my gifts...or maybe I'm just a terrible shopper.
I'm trying to update the site, which is going a lot slower than I thought. I'm so tired from work and school that I barely care if I get any writing done. However, an inspiration tidal wave hit me two weeks ago and I wrote 3000 extra words to Jerucia, which was great, because I hadn't touched that story in a while. I've written two more chapters onto Clairvoyant, but haven't had time to write much this week, and so I'm pretty tired and annoyed that I have to work all this week. I don't have another day off until Sunday, and that's the day we have the Christmas party.
However, some bright spots in my days since Thanksgiving: I went skating for the first time in 5 years last Saturday, and tomorrow I'm going to go see Eragon. I'm a little worried about Saphira. A lot of the dialoge in Eragon is telepathic conversations between Eragon and his dragon. Since I haven't seen a commercial with Saphira's voice yet, I'm worried about who they've cast, if anyone.
Also, I'd like to add a little news. Holly Lisle, one of my favorite authors, has posted an article recently about how chain bookstores policies of buying books can hurt an up and coming writer's career. I was very grateful to find this article, because now I have a heads up about how publishing and business work. However, with the evidence she's shown, and to support midlist writers, I'm going to try to shop at mostly indie bookstores. Who knows, I may need their help someday. I'll have to use online indies because we don't have any indies here, only Walmart. If you shop at a chain bookstore, or work at one, don't be offended by the article. Just buying the book means that you're supporting the writer's cause, and you can always try to counter the buying policy by handselling midlist authors. Suggest them to your friends, request to your boss that you stock them, put reviews up on Amazon.com and other sites. That way, you can help out a career.
I've got tons of new stuff updated on the sites, explore around, because I made my site go through an overhaul.
Well, that's all I've got for now. I'll update again at least once before Christmas, but until then, Happy Holidays and remember that Santa is checking his list, and if you don't watch out, you'll go on his special list. That's the third list, the one he doesn't tell anyone about. That's his personal vendetta list, and Christmas Eve, he's really gonna deck something, but I doubt it's someone's halls. Just a warning.
'Til next time,
Jason

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you found those stretchy pants yet? *giggle* I can't remember your answer to this question, but did you like eragon? And how was the voice of..the dragon i think. Is the dragon's name Saphira?

*original comment: Dec 20, 2006, 12:37 PM

Jason said...

It was okay, but they really screwed up the movie. It was way off from the book. Characters weren't introduced that were important, characters didn't die when they were supposed to, the ending was botched up.

The bright spots: Jeremy Irons and Saphira's voice. They were awesome.

*original comment: Dec 20, 2006, 4:41 PM