Friday, January 26, 2007

Life (Not the Game or the Cereal)

I have good intentions. I really do. I try my best to do good, and to be the best person I can be, but sometimes, life gets in my way. Life tries to get me to do things I know I shouldn't. Like the other day, I was trying to get to work early.
I've been trying to step up my speed. I was already named employee of the month last month, but I wanted to get even faster. So I tried to get to work earlier. My car wouldn't start, and then I got stuck in a mudhole. Then, on the way through town, I hit every stinking red light on my way through. Then, someone flew around me on the highway, and slowed down to 5 miles below the speed limit. Life was tempting me. Life was tempting me to destroy my car, disconnect all the traffic lights in town, and jump from my moving car, take that person that was driving the car in front of me, throttle them, take their car, pull off the side of the road, flatten all of its tires, commadere another vehicle, get back to my moving car, get in it, and get to work in a fair amount of time with a skill that could put Chuck Norris to shame.
As Jennifer Unlimited once said: Every time I close the door on reality it comes in through the windows.
I agree. Everyday for the past week, I've found myself saying "after school I'm gonna sit down and write until my brain is a bubbling goo." Everyday, I get packed down with homework. And do you know what else is piled on? Scholarship applications, college applications, applications for grants...it all makes me crazy. On the plus side, the last two essays I've done for my applications have been easy: "Name a novel you've read recently and tell why you consider it noteworthy" and "write an essay about yourself." Doesn't get much easier than that. (I wrote about Talyn for the novel essay.)
But, life does throw me a bone every now and then. Yesterday, I got my Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) of Lynn Viehl's Night Lost. It was one of the coolest things I've ever gotten.
So how has life been treating you? Any aggrivations you wanna talk about?

No comments: