Saturday, January 27, 2007

A meme!

Okay, let me explain: I'm doing a meme because 1) everyone that asked PBW a question on her Friday 20 thing got tagged and 2) because I needed something to post, and I'm too tired to type out the entry that I had in mind.

We got slammed over and over and over, and I had to wait on the customers. I usually cook, so I'm exhausted, and next week doesn't look any better. Tomorrow: 6-close. Then I have to work Tuesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday: 6-close, and Sunday: 5-close. Add in school, college applications, essays, and Murphey's Law, and you've got a recipe for trouble. All it needs is to have heat applied to it for a few minutes.

Okay, so, no more rambling, it's time for the meme!

Womens Fiction Book Meme (Also for men if you've been roped into it)

Contemporary, Historical, or Paranormal? Paranormal, most definitely. Historical is the equivalent to a faceful of Chloroform.

Hardback, Trade Paperback, or Mass Market Paperback? How do you mean? As a weapon? In a no-holds-barred grudge match between me and my bitter rival (Yosemite Sam) I'd want the Hardback. Or did you mean to read? Oh, well in that case Hardback for collecting and Mass Market Paperback for easy reading.

Heyer or Austen? Sadly, I haven't heard of either, but now I'm going to look into them.

Amazon or Brick and Mortar? I prefer brick and mortar, because I love the feel of walking into a bookstore and seeing all those stacks of books. It's like each story is calling out for my attention. However, I haven't seen a brick and mortar in years, because there are none in my area, so I'm forced to use Amazon.

Barnes & Noble or Borders? I've never been to either. The closest I've come to is Books-a-Million.

Woodiwiss or Lindsay? Sadly, I've never heard of these two, either.

First romance novel you ever remember reading? It was a book called The Goats by Brock Cole. It was about two kids who were stranded on an island in the middle of their lake at camp. Neither are very socially evolved--they're both loners--so they don't understand, and they run away. But as they travel all over the state, they grow closer to eachother as time passes. There are no fiery love scenes, no passionate romance, but you can see what begins to develop after a while. It was very subtle, but still very nice.

Alphabetize by author Alphabetize by title, or random? By author. I alphabetize by the author's last name, like a library, so that I can find what I'm looking for.

Keep, Throw Away, or Sell? I always either give my books away to other people or keep them until they fall to pieces and I have to get a new copy.

Read with dustjacket or remove it? I read it with the dustjacket removed because I like to keep it pretty and preserved. It'll hide any ugliness that might happen to the cover. I put my dustjacket's on a high shelf to keep my dog from chewing them up.

Sookie Stackhouse or Anita Blake? Seriously, I need to read outside my box more often. Or you need to ask better questions. Why not something philosophical like, "How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?"

Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? I stop reading when I'm tired if it's late at night. I prefer chapter breaks if I've got lots of luxury time, but my life almost never offers me the chance to end my reading on the ending of a chapter.

It was a dark and stormy night or Once upon a time? I'm more of a "Call me Ishmael." kinda guy.

Crusie or SEP? SEP? The Southwestern Enigmatic Poppyseed-pickers? I thought they were just stories made up to scare the kids, but if they're real, the IRS better watch out. And I don't know who Crusie is, but she might need to start thinking of relocating if she's going up against the SEP.

Buy or Borrow? Buy, unless I can't find it anywhere and I've exhausted all search efforts and called off the crack squad of rare book smelling drug dogs. Then I'll borrow.

Buying choice: Book Reviews, Recommendation, or Browse? A combination of all three. Book reviews can be usefull, but can't be the sole thing you use to decide. Recommendations, especially ones from my friends, are almost always golden, and browsing has allowed me to find some great gems as well. Survey says...all three!

Tidy ending or Cliffhanger? Tidy-ish ending. They don't have to resolve the problem, but it makes me crazy having the story end and then have to wait 6 months to a year just to finish the story.

Morning reading, afternoon reading, or Nighttime reading? Reading. I don't care where, what time, and with whom...unless you're one of those perpetual gum chewer, lip licker, butt scratcher, nose picker, paper rufflers. And then I just beat you into unconciousness and continue on with my business. Anyway, reading. Anytime, anywhere, I love to read.

Series or standalone? That doesn't matter to me. I like both. Talyn was a stand alone, the Heritage of Shannara books are part of a four-part series. I liked them all. I'm not picky.

Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? Most of my favorite books have been heard of, so I dug through and found two books that inspired me to try to write outside the box: Cujo and Harry Potter. Almost nobody has heard of them...oh wait. Wrong titles. I meant: Toy Trouble and The Weird, Weird West by Engles and Barnes. Both are kids books, but are so unique that I was enthralled with them for several weeks.

And I'm tagging anyone who wants to. Just post in the comments if you volunteer. I"m too pooped to name anybody. Maybe I'll change that later...

No comments: