Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Day Two And The Resolutions Are Falling Apart Already

Well, I think I'm gonna have to set some goals and be specific, because so far, the goals are falling apart. I've resolved to write more, finish some short stories, come up with more story ideas, and start running every morning. I've had some story ideas, but the rest of the goals have been iffy.

I ran today, but that's the first time for several days. I've learned that when the temperature when you wake up is 12 degrees, it's best to wait a few hours before you go running, and give the air a chance to warm up. By the time I came back, I suspected I had frost bite on my ears, my hands, and several other placed I would prefer not have it.

I've had a couple of story ideas, but I've just been letting them slosh around while I finish the story I'm working on. I'm not plotting this one, just letting it go and see how things go. This is just an experiment. I mapped and planned and sucked all the fun out of writing trying to get every little detail down, so now I'm going organic-ish for my stories to see if I can make it more fun.

Two problems with that:
  1. It makes for getting stuck to be very easy.
  2. When you get stuck, it makes it easier to procrastinate.
  3. Procrastination leads to no writing.
  4. That's bad for my goals.

So I need to find a happy medium, where I can plot out and know how things are going, but also leave room for loosey-gooseyness and fun.

Anyway, how's the new year going for everyone else so far?

No comments: