Monday, January 7, 2008

Preparation

The other day I was watching TV, and I saw an advertisment for a new movie coming out. It's called The Bucket List. I immediately wanted to see it, because it starred Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, and they're both "must watches" on my list. The premise of the movie is supposed to be that these two old guys get together to do all the stuff on their "Bucket List" -- a list of things they want to do before they kick the bucket. It looks hilarious.

But, since I've been watching more movies and stuff lately, because I missed out on some serious TV watching in college (we almost never watch any), I started thinking about something I want to do. I want to make a "Bucket List," but it would be a bit more practical.

In movies, often times, people get put into the most extreme of situations, but situations where, if they knew one skill or another, they'd fare much better. For example, in Poseidon, everyone flocked to the guy from the...Navy I believe, but it may have been the Marines...because he knew so much about survival and ships and stuff like that. But Kurt Russel's character was a fire fighter, so he wasn't really a pansy either. And yet another character got things done because he used to be on the swim team.

So here's my idea, I'll spend my life learning all these little things, little, silly skills so that, when the time comes, I will be a survival god. I'll learn sword fighting, fencing, all the different martial arts styles, I'll learn speed reading, I'll train to lift tons of weight, yet be fast as a bullet. I'll train to power swim, I'll learn the architecture of buildings and ships, I'll learn the best ways to escape in a situation, and even pro-wrestling.

Imagine, stuck on a sinking ship? I'll get out. I'm a power swimmer and I know all the ins and outs of ships and submarines. What? Zombies are banging down my front door? That's okay, I know all kinds of ways to keep food fresh, purify water, building handy useful things from virtually nothing, like MacGuyver, and I'm a marksman with any weapon. Even if they break into my hiding place, I'll take them out with my mad shooting skills.

What? I'm transported into the past during the middle of a war? No problem, I know tons of different fighting techniques and weapon styles, I'll have it covered.

Sure you could call it extreme paranoia, but I prefer to call it being prepared.

No comments: