Monday, January 5, 2009

50 Books Challenge in 2009

So, PJ Hoover has an absolutely awesome idea for 2009. Her goal is to read 50 books by the end of the year. Since I read 30 in 2008, and 26 in 2007, this will be a challenge for me -- but a good one. I need to read more instead of sitting around doing nothing. I watch probably way too many movies. Don't get me wrong, I love movies. At one time I had considered becoming a director and going to college for film and stuff because I loved to watch movies. Anyway, so this will give me the kick in the butt I need to read more.

Anyone who wants to participate in this little adventure is more than welcome to. She has rules for her posted on her site, but said that you can change them however you want to suite your situation. For the most part, they work for me, but I'll have to tweek them a smidge.

My rules
* Cannot count anything you've read before
* No picture books.
* Reading my own books doesn't count. Even if I read them 50 times during revisions. (I don't have an books per say, but I won't count any of the stories I write or revisions or anything)
* Reading critique partners manuscripts doesn't count.
* Mix it up. This was a great idea. I'm gonna try to add in some YA, and branch out beyond fantasy, which is what I've been focusing on. I'm gonna try to work in some Non-Fiction as well.
* When making my list, leave room for spontaneous reads, new releases that are "must reads", and anything I happen to pick up at the library during a given week.
* Record what I read on Goodreads. (I don't know what Goodreads is, so this is some what up in the air at the moment. However. I always keep a running account of books that I plan on reading, and books I've already read on my website here. It also contains what I've read for the past 3 years.) I don't normally talk about what I read, but if something really speaks to me, I'll try to pass the recommendation onto you through the trusty ol' SoaM here.

With that said, you may be wondering what I plan on reading. Well, I've got a few things bouncing around.

1. The Smoke Thief - Shana Abe (This is one that I started a while back and never got to finish because school kicked me in the teeth.
2. Homeland: The Legend of Drizzt Book 1 - R.A. Salvatore (My roommate got me this for Christmas)
3. The Golden Compass
4. The Subtle Knife
5. The Amber Spyglass - all by Phillip Pullman. Yes, the infamous His Dark Materials trilogy. One of my friends got it for me for Christmas last year, and I haven't had the chance to read it yet.
6. Blaze - "Richard Bachman"
7. The Inferno - Dante (trying to work in some classics)
8. The Rocketeer - Peter David (I've had this forever, and I liked the movie, so I decided I wanted to read the novelization.)
9. My Father - Nancy Sinatra
10. The Chamber - John Grisham
11. The Last Days of Krypton - Kevin J. Anderson (Because I'm a Superman nerd, and this intrigued me)
12. Te King of Torts - John Grisham
13. The Children of Hurin - J.R.R. Tolkien
14 & 15. When my money comes in from my refund check (and after I have budgeted out my money so I don't go crazy broke) I'll have to figure out a way to get my hands on The Emerald Table by P.J. Hoover, and I So Don't Do Mysteries by Barrie Summy, debut's for both of them, and I can't wait to read them and support them.

I think I'll leave it off there. I want a few surprises and too much planning will make reading seem like a chore.

6 comments:

PJ Hoover said...

I like the new template! And glad you are doing the challenge. It's kind of a nice number. One book a week. Totally doable if I stick to it!
And thanks for the Emerald Tablet mention!

Jason said...

Thanks. I thought it looked pretty nice. Yeah. I like the challenge. And no problem, lol. I'm excited about reading it.

Unknown said...

PJ: How cool are you? You got your own label!

Jason: I am trying to do the fifty book challenge, too. The only ones on your list I've already read are Dante (I teach it in my class, so I know that one well--read it twice a year) and the Dark Materials books (although I didn't really like them and never got past book 1). Good luck with it! I love the challenge of it all, but I think it's going to take some of your year word--discipline--for me to complete it!

Jason said...

Dante is one I'm looking forward to. One of my professors made a joke about it, and I decided I wanted to be well-read, too.

Yeah, I definitely know what you mean. TV and internet are too easy to distract me.

PJ Hoover said...

Dante is perfect for me, too! How did I miss this? It will totally fit in with a WIP! I'll add it to my list!

Jason said...

Awesome. I hope you enjoy it!